Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day five: Tripping on Sleep Deprivation

So this morning I think I hit the peak of sleep deprivation, which ironically is a good thing. This means that my body should start to make the necessary changes to adjust to this new sleep cycle. I only remember half of this morning and imagine that the experience can be compared to being some sort of high. Reality became dreamlike and the line between sleeping and being awake became blurry. I had previously read that this would happen as the body's attempt to trick you into going to sleep. And it was partially successful in doing so. Like I said, I can only remember bits and pieces of the night. I think I may have fallen asleep for several minutes at a time. There was one point where the line was so blurred that in a dream, a friend told me to go on ichat, so in the real world I did. And this all blended together. At the time I didn't realize that they were two separate worlds. Around 7am I got in the shower in an attempt to wake me up. I only remember half of the shower. I couldn't tell you if I even used shampoo and soap or if I just stood there. But I remember all of a sudden falling asleep while standing up and jolting awake as I was about to fall. I woke up in bed half an hour later, not even remembering getting into the bed.

Needless to say, sleep deprivation can be dangerous. But if this works like it is supposed to, that shouldn't happen again, because now my internal sleep cycles will start to change. However, if I continue to have experiences like this morning, I will definitely stop this experiment and go back to monophasic.

No comments:

Post a Comment